Saturday 2 June 2012

The Why


Indonesia.

I’ve (as in Will) been to Indonesia a number of times and loved it, the food, the people, the places and the oddities.   I’ve spent a year travelling the region on numerous trips and been to a lot of the islands. Above it is amazing and you never know what will happen next.

Australia’s closest neighbor is the 4th most populous nations has been growing consistently over the past 10 years. The number of students learning Bahasa Indonesia in Australia has, in the same period, declined 80%, an interesting lengthy report can be found here.  Since September 11, Bali bombings and, what I could only describe as embarrassing relationship nightmares such as Michele Corby dominating Australian Press, Indonesia has been irrationally and rather embarrassingly void from Australia political and social consciousness.  


Toranas are still awesome in both places.




A focus on Indo

Australia’s island isolation means that growing up you are seldom exposed to second languages and therefore compulsory languages studies have little relevance for a teenagers. I was no expectation. Now, passing 30, I’ve decided to learn a second language to prove to myself that I can do it. Though this makes sense, London is not really the best place to enroll in Indonesian classes.  There is only one class in the whole of the uk (that I've now completed).  I hope that this trip to indonesia takes me to the next level of speaking and listening.

This Trip

Me and my girlfriend (Nancy) wanted to do something different. We cycle all the time - we can always be found with our good friends at Pretorius bikes (who are awesome). Cycle touring gives you unparrelled access to places.  It is simple, quiet, exciting and challenging.   Also, preparing for this trip takes planning and I like planning and an ability to maintain calm at some of the most interesting/trying times.  Flying and bikes provides some of the best of times…


No comments:

Post a Comment